Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Clase....clase...clase

Oye!

I have no clue why I am still awake, but I anyways I thought I should at least fill you all in. I am going on my fourth day of class tomorrow. It has been pretty good so far. I tested into the intermediate-advanced Spanish level so it should be an experience. The school itself is a language college, where students can learn various languages. It is great also because there are people from all over the world there. I actually met a woman from Rio, Brazil who was learning Spanish because she married a man from Argentina. She said she only spoke Portuguese and Spanish. It just boggles my mind because we were both conversing in languages that were not our first, but we still understood each other. Yes, knowing another language is something powerful.

For this first month though, I have Spanish class from 1 to 4 Monday to Friday. It sounds pretty long, and it felt like it today. Hopefully it will be more interesting since it was just review today. After I finish the Spanish portion of the program I get more time to do research on my field project.

The other two classes I have are an Area Cultural seminar and a Reserach methods seminar to help prepare me for my reserach. Those will be until the end of the program and are Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30 to 12.....It seems so long, but I will be fine-those start next week.

The only issue I have had thus far is with the transportation system of Buenos Aires. I have to take the Subte (subway) to class each morning. Let me tell you though, that is one crowded train car in the morning. And also it stops in the middle of the tunnel sometimes! Crazy right? I have been late to a few meetings I have had because of this. Yet, a large part about the people of Buenos Aires, and possibly Argentina in general is their looseness with time. For example, we could meet one of our Argentinean friends at 10:30. However he could arrive at 11:00. It is very loose, but for classes it is not the same because you still need to be on time for class.

Anyways, here is is the killer part about the subte-it closes at 10:30 PM everyday. I have never heard of a system of public transportation not being available 247. However, I am in Buenos Aires. Also, it only has trains that cover about half of 2/3 of the city. The other parts of the city you will have to take a bus or cab. So some parts of the city are inaccessbile by train. I guess now they are trying to build more train lines for better access though.

If I can't use the subway, then I have to take the collectivo or the bus. It costs 1.25 peso which is nothing. However, I do not know how to use it that well yet. So this shall be very interesting to see how I will be getting around the city. To get into the nightlife, I have been taking a cab. However, I am sure that could be expensive after a while.

Alright-I wil write again when some more interesting things happen. Here is a picture though of "El Obelisco". This is a part of the Centro area of Buenos, where Casa Rosada and the House of Congress is at. This is very close to where I take classes as well.

-Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment