Friday, October 23, 2009

Viaje!---Brasil y Río de Janeiro!

Ola! (It’s Portuguese…pretty close to Spanish right?)

This week was pretty successful in regards to my investigation. I finished my draft and it’s almost 9 pages, but I still need to interview people about the black experience in Argentina. I have had informal interviews with the kids of my home stay parents who are in their 40’s. When I told them what I was investigating they were impressed. Yet like most responses I have gotten so far, they told me there were almost no blacks in Argentina.

Also what is more interesting is that when I asked them if some Argentines could have black ancestry. They simply said they did not know and were very surprised that I asked that question. It was also surprising because my explanation as to how it would be possible made sense. Like I said before, many black men died in the wars during the 19th century which left many black women alone. Consequently, those black women had to find someone, so they intermarried with the European immigrants. Now I know it is only a part of the population, yet it is still very significant. More to come on this though guys!

Now let’s talk about Brazil, I am beyond excited for this trip. I was thinking about it, and I realized I may have wanted to go to Brazil before Argentina. However, I now have the opportunity to visit, but also compare each country and my experience in each.Also if you are wondering how I have time on my hands to take a random trip to Brazil, don't question it because I am currently on vacation :)

I will not make any expectations, but people have told me that Brazilians are very welcoming and warm. Also everyone in Argentina keeps telling me that I will blend right in with the Cariocas (people from Rio de Janeiro) because I look similar. We’ll see about that, especially since many Argentines think I look like the Brazilian football player Robinho. The only probably that I may run into will be the language. I do not know any Portuguese. However in larger towns like Rio, Spanish and English is also spoken. For the sake of not being perceived as a complete American tourist I try to speak only in Spanish in Brazil. Despite what some may think, there are some definite linkages between the Portuguese and Spanish. I will let you know how that goes.

So the plan for tomorrow is to fly into São Paulo and then take a bus to a smaller town on the way to Rio. The small towns in this area are notoriously…safe! Crazy right? I was talking with my host parents about this and they had nothing but great experiences in these small towns. Usually everyone is in by 11 PM and no one is in the street. Supposedly the worst cities in Brazil are São Paulo and Rio….yeah, so why am I going there?

Well to be honest I can’t let fear stop me from doing what I want to do. Of course I will take care and precaution in Rio and in Brazil in general. In comparison with some of the tourists and other Americans here in Argentina, I can say that I am very cautious of my surroundings. The same will certainly be applied when I go to Brazil. However, I know that I can safely have a great time in Rio as well. So for anyone worrying, don’t loose sleep over it! I will be fine—someone intelligent told me that before I leap, I should think. And that my friends, is advice I always follow.

On a lighter note, I plan to find some dancing Brazilians…they LOVE to dance. That definitely will remind me of Puerto Ricans, so I should feel at home. Supposedly for them, anytime one dances is time for a party (ya tu sabes haha)! A popular dance music in Brazil is called the Samba, which certainly has African influence and A LOT of hip movement. It will be interesting to see if I can keep up with the Brazilians when it comes to dancing. (Of course I will though!)

It is getting late though guys; I will update you guys when I can. I will be staying at a hostel, and if you are still worried, I am going with a friend of mine in my program. Two brains are better then one in foreign territory.

But seriously I can’t wait….but I probably should pack since my flight is at 7:40 AM…

See you soon guys,

And I will be back in Argentina on November 4th.

Tchau!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment